I cover insurgencies, global environmental problems, travel, and the geopolitical fault lines that underlie them all, for magazines like Harper’s, Outside, and Condé Nast Traveler.
I specialize in Latin America, particularly Cuba, but have worked from Patagonia to Phnom Penh, and Cape Town to Kazakhstan. I am the author of The Boys from Dolores (2007), about what happened to Fidel Castro’s own schoolmates. It was named to the New York Times “Ten Best” list.
In the July issue of Condé Nast UK you’ll find my article on Agritourism in the Pacific Northwest. Travel to where the finest organic food is grown.
In April I appeared as a guest of Neil Conan’s on the NPR program Fresh Air to dicuss the experience of researching the article “A Wild Country Grows in South Sudan”, which appears in the April ’13 issue of Outside Magazine.
Listen to the podcast here – “South Sudan: A Warn-Torn Nation Transforms To Tourist Destination.”
These are some of my stories.
- Playground of the Gods
- Unnatural Disaster
- The Ghost of Shipwrecks Future
- City on the Edge
- The Sweetest Villains
- Rafting the Yangtze River, China
- The Boys From Dolores
- China Lost & Found
- Immersion Therapy—Interview with Anderson Cooper
- Day of Ascension
- The Cabin of My Dreams
- Sleepless in Stockholm
- Hugo’s World
- Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
- The Filthy, Fecund Secret of Emilia-Romagna
- Turkey: Archeological Dig Reshaping Human History
- Dams in Chilean Patagonia
- New Tactics for an Old Regime in Cuba
- Off the Deep End
- Thirty Days as a Cuban
- Harper’s Video: The Cuban State Diet
- Writers Voice: Cuba Present And Past
- Dispatches – cbc radio: The Cuban State Diet
- Meet The Neighbors
- Sand Storm: Yemen on the Brink
- Anwar al-Awlaki: The Next Bin Laden
- Chasing Che
- Life Under Alabama’s Harsh Immigration Law
- Earth Beat – Footprints: Who pinched my ride?
- The Beautiful Game: Soccer Violence
- Path of Dreams: The Trip of a Lifetime in Uganda
- Blue Beauty
- Slow Food and Agritourism in the Pacific Northwest
- Agritourism in the Pacific Northwest (PDF)
- A Wild Country Grows in South Sudan
- Fresh Air: South Sudan
- The Real Rebels of Timbuktu
- Cuba’s Rising Art Scene
- YouTube Videos
- NO DEAL, a look at Obama’s reluctant partners inside Cuba
- The Cuban Money Crisis
- The Ancient Ruins Terror Can’t Destroy